So I was trying to think of a Family Home Evening lesson yesterday when I remembered that there was a personal progress value experience that required a certain topic for Family Home Evening. I couldn't remember what it was, so I looked it up and it was faith value experience number three. First, I read about faith in the Bible dictionary and in the True to the Faith book. Both of them mention that faith is a gift from God, but also that it is our duty to nourish our faith. I have found both of those things to be true. I was blessed to be born into the church (thank you mom and dad). I believe that was a wonderful gift from a loving Heavenly Father which provided me with the chance to attend primary and young womans and BYU. Without those things, my faith and testimony would not be as strong. But I also know that it is our responisbility to continually nourish and strengthen our faith. The book compares it to exercise. When we exercise our muscles, we strengthen them. But it we lay around all day, our muscles will weaken and eventually become useless. I thought that was a nice analogy.
Then for Family Home Evening Will and I talked about some of our faith-building experiences in our lives. One that I thought I would share here on this blog built my faith in the power of fasting. Will and I had just moved to Cheney and I started looking around for a job to help support Will in school. I was not having any luck. After a couple of weeks, we decided to fast that I may find a job. Just a couple of hours later I got a phone call from the Giggling Guest daycare that told me I could have a job if I came in right away. My fast turned to one of gratitude as I gladly accepted the job. I know fasting doesn't always work that quickly. But on that day, my faith in a loving Heavenly Father who hears our prayers was increased tenfold.
There have been many experiences in my life that have increased my faith. I feel like faith grows little by little for most people. That has been the way with me. As I continue to keep the commandments, I receive blessings and my faith grows. I know we need to continually nourish our faith just as we continually nourish our bodies. So that is what I learned while studying about faith. It was great really thinking about several experiences that have really strengthened my faith. I think everyone should do it occasionally.
No comments:
Post a Comment