Sunday, March 18, 2012

Two Experiences

So one of my jobs as being the homemaker is to do most of the planning and cooking of meals.  I have been doing this for the last 4 1/2 years of being married and will probably continue to do this for a long time.  So I was pleasantly surprised to find that one of the value experiences in good works is to plan meals and cook meals for two weeks for your family.  I wanted to do something a little different than I normally do to count toward personal progress, so I decided to do the shopping myself as well.  Usually, Will comes along to corral kids or I leave the kids home with him.  And I have learned from my two experiences during these past two weeks at the grocery store that shopping with two little children is challenging.  Whitney likes to run away, especially when we get to the cereal aisle because there are toys located right at her eye level.  So I am chasing her who is usually chasing a ball that she threw and is rolling under shelves.  And I cannot just leave the cart there while I chase her because Rachel is in her carseat and I don't want to leave her alone.  Or Rachel starts screaming and I cannot pretend she is not my child.  Needless to say, I prefer leaving them home with Will.  But I did learn that shopping can be challenging but is also rewarding.  I enjoy buying healthy foods and then making healthy dinners that everyone will eat.  I like knowing that I am in charge of making sure my children have good nutrition so they can grow and develop well.  I know it is important to help in other aspects of our lives as well; we can do good works in more than just cooking.  So I will need to work on other things like better cleaning or better sewing or better friendships. 

   I also did another value experience this morning for scripture study.  I did the first value in virtue.  We didn't have the virtue value when I was doing personal progress as a young woman, but I think it is very important.  I read some scriptures and The Family Proclamation.  I think my favorite was the scripture in Proverbs about a virtuous woman being valued more than rubies.  We live in a time where virtue and chastity are seen as old-fashioned or uncool.  But nothing could be farther from the truth.  I am so grateful that I was raised in a home where virtue was taught.  Now that I am a mom, I want my children to know that I value virtue and that I am completely loyal and faithful toWill.  Being chaste means saving yourself from a lot of heartache so you can enjoy intimacy with your future spouse.  I am glad that Will and I were both worry to be sealed in the temple so we can be together forever.  We are so blessed when we are pure and chaste and virtuous. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember back when Dad was in school and working part time and having to do the grocery shopping all by myself. Wow, fill one cart with a car seat and two little kids and one cart with groceries. Not fun. And I had to do it many times. Maybe that is why I don't love shopping? I remember once needing a new pair of pants and trying to figure out how to get us all into a dressing room so I could try them on. Didn't work, and I didn't buy a new pair of pants. Such is life, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

    ReplyDelete