Monday, January 23, 2012

Divine Nature #2

I read Proverbs 31 - one of my favorite chapters - I guess because it is almost a list form as to who I should strive to be like.  Here is my list of attributes that I divined from my reading: virtuous, dependable, supports husband, seeks righteousness, works with her hands, studious, reverent, endeavors earnestly, industrious, arises early so she is ready to go and do, feeds her family, is knowledgeable about money/good deals/budgeting, gardens, works on her health with exercise and nutrition, prepared in all things, does her best, sewing and handiwork, serves the poor and needy, well dressed, stands behind her husband and his work, saves money, thrifty, have joy and peace, educated, kind, compassionate, takes care of family, doesn't waste time, reveres the Lord.  I got a big kick out of one of the verses.  It is the beginning of verse 21, where it says, "She is not afraid of the snow..."  I laughed and laughed at that as we were homebound last week with dad gone and me afraid to drive in the snow.  We didn't leave the house for nearly two whole days.  It was so weird. 

I then read two talks about womenhood.  There sure are many to choose from.  I decided to pick something fairly close to date rather than something quite a few years ago.  The first talk I picked was Oct. 2007 conference by Julie B. Beck and is entitled "What Latter-Day Saint Women do Best: Stand Strong and Immoveable."  Here are some things I learned from this talk.  "Now is a very difficult season in the history of the world."  We need to practice being a disciple of Christ - learn what He would have us learn, do what He would have us do, become what He would have us become.  There were three areas of focus.  The first was Faith: make and keep covenants, be worthy and worship in His temples, study His doctrine in scriptures and the words of the prophets, recognize and follow the Holy Ghost, share and defend His gospel, personal and family prayer, FHE, live the principles of self-reliance and provident living.  The second is Family: understand and defend the divine roles of women, embrace blessings of the priesthood, form, eternal families, maintain a strong marriage, bear and rear children, express love for and nurture family members, accept responsibility to prepare a righteous rising generation, know and live and defend the doctrine of the family, search out and perform temple ordinances for extended family.  The third area of focus was Relief:  lift up, lighten, and raise up, provide relief (of poverty, illness, doubt, ignorance, of all that hinders the joy and progress of women).  Ask yourself, "Who needs my help?"

The second talk I picked was by Pres. Uchtdorf called Influence of Rigtheous Women and was given at the Relief Society broadcast in 2009.  He quotes President Hinkley, "It is so tremendously important that all the women of the church stand strong and immovable fo that which is correct and proper under the plan of the Lord.  We call upon the women of the Church to stand together for righteousness.  They must begin in their own homes.  They can teach it in their classes.  They can voice it in thier communities."  Pres. Uchtdorf talks about how we need to set good examples.  Our children will see these examples like if we love to go to the temple, they will learn to love to go.  Or if we follow the word of wisdom which is a guide to keeping the body and spirit in the most perfect shape possible.  We need to acquire an eductaion and training that will qualify them both for homemaking and raising a righteous family and for earning a living outside the home if the occasion requires.  We need to rise to the great potential within us.  Heavenly Father wants us to succeed in this life and for all eternity.  He quotes Joseph Smith - "If you live up to your privileges, the angesl cannot be restrained from being your associates." 

Finally, my reading ended with the "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" about what it says about being a wife and a mother.  We need to love and care for our husband and children.  We need to rear our children in love and righteousness and to provide for their physical and spiritual needs and to teach them to love and serve one another as well.  Establish and maintain relationships based on faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion,work and wholesome recreational activities.  Mothers are responsible to nurture their children.

I guess you could say I like lists.  I made nearly everything into a list that can be checked off.  Perhaps I like to feel like I have accomplished something on occasion and if I can check that off I feel like "whoo!  done with that!"  I know, I am weird. 

The next part of the requirement says to ask mothers you respect or your own mom, what they think are important attributes to being a mother.  I probably will go ahead and e-mail my own mom as well, but I would like to open this discussion to you mothers and future mothers.  Any dads and future dads I am sure can add to the discussion as well.  You don't have to discuss anything on the list that I made from what I studied, feel free to add your own thoughts.  Then comes the hard part for me.  I have to pick an attribute and strive to develop it and work on it for two weeks.  So I hope to hear some suggestions this week (not like I have enough to choose from in my lists above...) so I can get started on my two weeks shortly.  Thanks for your help.  I love you guys. 

3 comments:

  1. It slightly scares me to become a mother. So much responsibility there. I know the attributes that I am impressed with are Mothers that can teach/raise adults. That they can teach the scripture stories and when it's time to be quite versus the time to be loud. Teaching the love of learning all sorts of things. Mothers also needs to be patient. I always thought I was so good at being patient, but recently I've learned that I could do better. Mothers also need to be self sacrificing. Like my sister in law has dubbed herself as the "The Human Handkerchief" this week because her child is sick. Those are some that came to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure understand the human handkerchief bit. Conner use to hug me and then wipe his nose on my shirt. Little stinker. Thank you for your comments. It is scary being a parent and always worrying about your kids, but it also the greatest joy. Psalms 127:3-5 "Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord...As arrows are in the hand of the mighty man; so are the children of the youth. Hsppy is the man that hath his quiver full of them..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a mother does have its challenges. Especially when you have sick kids who require lots of extra attention. I was cleaning up throw up two nights ago at one in the morning, so I know that mothers have to sacrifice. But it is always worth the work; my kids bring such joy into my life.
    Mom, you asked for some ideas on things to work on to be a better mother. I know that I am working on patience and controlling my emotions. Whitney has been getting jealous of Rachel and wants to hit her and I have to work on not getting super angry. I agree that it is very important to be raising our children in the gospel both by taking them to church and also by talking about gospel-related subjects at home. That's an idea of something to work on, at least for me. Whitney recognizes pictures of Jesus and we talk about Him a little bit. But I think I can do better. Anyway, good luck with your two week challenge.

    ReplyDelete